Coming Home

Coming Home 
The chilling breeze strokes her pale skin every morning,
Until she drowns herself in her worn-out cashmere sweater.
But she puts on beige colored woolen gloves with cut-out fingers,
So she can easily turn the frayed pages of her favorite book. 

While she read books by the candlelight when she should be asleep,
Snow crackling under her boots when she's rushing to the class.
With a steaming paper cup of coffee from the nearest bistro,
Red nose, cheeks and foggy glasses as she bursts into the room.

Sitting at her desk, looking up only to see a blanket of snow,
Watching through the window with a hot drink in her hand.
The warmth of the mug spreads, heating up her numb hands,
Decorating the apartment with antique handmade decorations.

The sound of crackling fire and aroma of toasted marshmallows,
Resting her head against the wall, with a sweet sense of serenity.
The black skeleton fingers of trees tapping on the glass window,
As snow flurries began to fall and swirl around like winter's magic.

Appreciating the warmth of sun as the winter quietly approaches,
With sunless grey skies filled with heavy clouds and smoky fog.
But, she awaits the cold, cozy nights with warm blankets and hot cocoa,
Because for her it is not a season, its a celebration - it is like coming home. 
                                                                                                                                                ~ star

Author's Note 
“Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.”      — Edith Sitwell

As we begin the last month of the year 2021 - this is my way of officially welcoming the winters! 
If you know me, you'd know that winter is my favorite season! This piece shows you exactly why I love the winters. Hot chocolate, warm blankets and good books. What else do I even need in life? 

Question - What's your favorite part about wintertime? 
Comment and share your thoughts! 

Comments

  1. Splendid work! "The warmth of the mug spreads..", this line honestly speaks to me! The best thing about winters is having a hot cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece is simply delightful! Gives me all the warm winter feels. Thank you for sharing. Christmas is definitely my favorite part of the winter season! Being around my family and friends, waking up early just to unwrap the presents, is really heartwarming. It's one of the things I look forward to all year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment on the post! reading your encouraging comments always makes my day :)

      Delete
    2. It is always a pleasure to read your work! Looking forward to more of such gems!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful...I love the quote in the author's note.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This poem is wonderful. I really love the way you've captured all the tender feelings and the endearing little details about winters. My favorite thing about winter would probably be night-long bonfires that we have at the place where I live. It's really enjoyable and is a very pleasant environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for reading my work and leaving such a precious comment! also - the bonfires sounds fun! enjoy!

      Delete
  5. this is lovely! my favorite thing about wintertime would be christmas. although my fam doesn't celebrate i can't get enough of trees lit up, christmas carols and decorations...watching hallmark christmas movies is my guilty pleasure
    i'm a sucker for happy ever-afters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been worded so elegantly, completely breathtaking. My favorite part of winter is snow. The snowflakes and snowfall are truly magical, just like you've written. And I certainly share your love for the winters. I love sitting outside and watching the snow fall with a warm chai latte. You've described the entire picture so vividly that I could feel myself going along the lines of the poem.
    On a different note - I love what you've done to your page, it makes it so warm and welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for sharing your thoughts! it's really motivating to know that someone out there appreciates my work <3

      Delete
  7. I don't really like the cold but this poem quite appeals to me. It's aesthetically pleasing even esthetic if I may call it that? This certainly gives me a novel vantage point to the season the only thing I look anticipate is watching netflix while wrapped in my heated blanket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for leaving your thoughts on the page! and I'm so glad that my work has been able to give you a different perspective, haha!

      Delete
  8. Such a fantastic composition! Keep posting and hope you are able to reach great heights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is so well written! Great job, keep it up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. An artistic work aptly describing the spectacular landscape of earth painted by season of snow clad winters!! Naturally written down!! Season of festivities, enjoyment, holidays, presents, comfort and fulfillment bestowed with hot chocolates, warm blankets and good books, certainly what else would one require when the mighty nature itself gifts you the best of seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for such a sweet comment! reading your thoughts' really motivates me! <3

      Delete
    2. thank you for your comment! :)

      Delete
  11. While reading it, it felt like that I had swept into a winter wonderland. Every line of every stanza makes the readers feel the white blankets of snow , the warmth, the smell of the ashes in the fire place , the coziness.
    Beautifully written and definitely a go to poem for anyone to feel like December anytime. Keep going

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was really heartwarming, wow!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts